I really don't like Corned Beef and Cabbage.
Like I really don't like it.
While living at home, my parents made it every year without fail, and each year with no avail, I made a fuss. Despite my parents best efforts at getting me to like this nasty St. Patty's Day supper, I still hate it. Perhaps it's the fact the meat is red, which is a sign to me that my food could still be half alive. Or perhaps it's the soggy cabbage? Or maybe it's the smell of the two combined?
Shutter...
I apologize to you lovers of corned beef and cabbage, but it's just not my plate of yum.
Now that I'm grown and have a wee family of my own, I decided I'll stick to one of my classic green comfort foods.
Stuffed Green Peppers.
These aren't just any stuffed green peppers...
they are my moms.
Which means they are amazing.
Sure they may not be the fanciest, but they cost pennies to make and the memories associated with them are sweet. Not to mention the little miss Aria loves the filling in these bad boys.
So tonight for our Irish feast we had these instead of mooing cow and soggy veggies.
Ingredients
6 large green peppers
1 pound ground beef
1/2 cup chopped onion
1-16 oz. can diced tomatoes
1/2 cup cooked rice
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Instructions
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Cut tops from green peppers and discard seeds and membranes. Dice enough of the tops from the green peppers to make 1/4-1/2 cup. Set aside.
3. Cook the whole green peppers, uncovered, in boiling water for 5 minutes; drain. Sprinkle insides of peppers with salt lightly.
4. In skillet, cook beef, onion and reserved chopped green pepper until the meat is browned and vegetables are tender. Drain off excess fat.
5. Add undrained tomatoes, rice, salt, Worcestershire, and a dash of pepper. Stir until mixture is heated through.
6. Stir in cheese
7. Stuff peppers with meat mixture and place in a baking dish.
8. Bake uncovered for about 30 minutes.
9. Enjoy!
*We use 4 peppers instead of 6 and just stuff the bajeebers out them. The filling is the best part and this way, you get more filling per pepper.





0 comments:
Post a Comment